Why ASSIST Consulting?
We have a wide range of experience that can be customized to the specific needs of your organization. During our 25 years in the nonprofit sector, we have worked with organizations of all sizes and in all phases of the life cycle –from grass-roots startups to multi-million dollar, national nonprofits and corporations. Our services are holistic, cost-effective and proven to generate a high return on investment.
Development Strategy and Planning: We specialize in building and strengthening the development departments of small and mid-sized organizations. By conducting comprehensive assessments, setting ambitious but attainable goals, and creating practical work plans that are responsive to the organization’s capacity, we help CEOs to maximize on their limited time and resources for fundraising.
- Prospect Research: We use both online tools and traditional methods to research, analyze and qualify funding opportunities from a wide range of sources (foundation, government, corporate and individuals), identifying those targets that are the best match for the organization.
- Proposal Writing: We have a strong track record of researching and preparing winning grant proposals, securing millions of dollars in grants from over 50 foundation, government, and corporate sources. We also create compelling case statements, letters of inquiry, sponsorship decks, appeal letters and other “pitch” documents to solicit funding.
- Campaign/Event Planning: Whether it’s conducting a feasibility study for a capital or endowment campaign, assessing readiness for crowdfunding, planning a gala, or executing an annual appeal, we provide practical guidance that will allow your organization to move forward with confidence.
- Major Gifts: We know how to build strong relationships that are based on shared values and a common agenda. We work with Boards and CEOs to create cultivation and stewardship plans that are highly personal, persuasive, and responsive to the donors’ goals and priorities.
Fundraising Training and Coaching: We strengthen organizations by building systems and processes for a productive development department. We help organizations to help themselves by sharing knowledge, resources and best practices through in-person and online training, coaching and facilitation. Here are some “off the shelf” training opportunities, all of which can be adapted to your organization’s specific needs:
- The Leaky Bucket: What’s Wrong With your Fundraising and How to Fix It: The Leaky Bucket is a free assessment tool developed by Bristol Strategy Group that measures several key fundraising practices, such as how to qualify prospects, set performance measures, and address poor performance. In this workshop, designed for development teams of all sizes, we will debrief your Leaky Bucket results, share effective practices and address challenges in improving your fundraising systems.
- The 60-Minute Development Plan: Next to a strategic plan, the development plan is the most important living document in your organization. This interactive workshop will take you through the A to Z of creating an annual development plan, including assessment, goals objectives and strategies, roles and responsibilities, execution and evaluation.
- Grant Writing 101: This primer is designed for founders, emerging development staff and other professionals who, by necessity, find themselves thrust into the role of grant writer. This session provides an overview of the grant writing landscape, fundamental principles, and hands-on tips that will demystify the process of writing strong grant proposals.
- Seven Steps to Crowdfunding Success: Crowdfunding can be a powerful tool for increasing the profile and expand the donor base of an organization — but not without the right pieces in place and a solid plan. This 60-minute session, appropriate for any organization that is consideringa crowdfunding campaign, provides an overview of the crowdfunding landscape that will make sure that you don’t waste valuable time and resources.
Retained Advisory Services: We act as thought partners to Founders, CEOs and Boards, providing C-level management and leadership experience to inform organizational strategy and decision-making on topics such as organizational development, board development, program development, staffing, communications, marketing, branding, financial management, and sustainability.
- Interim Executive Leadership: As Interim CEO or Development Officer, we provide organizations with the stability and time that they need to effectively navigate an executive transition or vacancy in a senior-level fundraising or executive position. This critical function includes day-to-day management and supervision, prioritization of key activities, and on-boarding the newly hired executive staff upon hiring.
- Organizational Analysis and Assessment: We utilize a variety of frameworks to take a holistic picture and conduct a comprehensive analysis of your organization. In this way we are able to identify strengths, weaknesses and areas for further examination that will inform decision-making during a crisis, transition, or other pivotal juncture in the life cycle.
- Strategic Planning: An organization is only as effective as the quality of its strategic plan and its ability to execute it. We work with Boards and CEOs to plan and facilitate this critical process, document and present results, and integrate the plan into the day-to-day life of the organization.
Philanthropic Strategy and Planning: We promote and support philanthropic efforts in a variety of ways. Whether it’s helping individuals to establish giving circles or family foundations, supporting corporations in executing meaningful grant programs, developing RFPs, we aim to build philanthropic partnerships that are mutually rewarding, based on shared values, and achieve the intended social impact.
- Due Diligence: We identify strong candidates for funding by researching and screening potential grantees and conducting site visits and exploratory meetings then determine appropriate funding levels, prepare dockets, and make funding recommendations that are aligned with the grant-makers guidelines.
- Proposal Review: We know what a quality proposal looks like. We conduct rigorous review, analysis and evaluation of funding proposals, letters of inquiry and budgets, and provide informed and objective critiques and recommendations based on funder guidelines.
- Grants Management: We help grant-makers to maintain relationships with grantees, monitor active grants and review progress reports; and ensure adherence to grant agreements via appropriate documentation, including narrative and financial reporting.